Monday, January 16, 2012

The Waiting Game: Will Patience Pay Off?

So as you may or may not know, I just graduated this past December. Since then, I have basically just been coaching basketball and hanging out… waiting…

I’ve tried to restrain myself from making five year plans because, well, I’ve learned that too many things happen and change in five years to ever plan around them. Nevertheless, it is important to me to have somewhat of an idea of where I would like to go and what I want to do. This past year has been extremely crazy for me and has made me question exactly what it is I want to devote my life to, occupationally. I’m a psychology, polisci major and a coach so I have a variety of different options available to me in terms of future career paths. This has been a bit of a problem for me because well the only thing harder than having no choice, is having too many. I’ve applied to grad schools for counseling, and I’ve continued to take coaching jobs in hopes of it leading to teaching positions but for whatever reason those options just didn’t seem like me. So I devised a new plan and have worked tirelessly to ensure it works out. I have decided I want to go to law school. However, having graduated early, I have literally been in school non-stop, through the summers with school and field hockey since I was in high school. Being somewhat burnt out, I know I’m not quite ready to dedicate myself to the time and effort that law school requires, just yet. So to extend the time before I will go back to school, I have spent countless hours over the past 4 months applying for a position in a particular organization that will allow me to build a great resume and help pay for and get into law school. That’s what I’ve been waiting for. I made it through phone interviews, tests, personal and educational background checks, and even final personal interviews. I nailed the interviews, have a stellar resume and all the credentials one would need for such a position. Still, it’s extremely competitive and you just never know…

I have been left to simply wait to hear back for over a month now; providing a patience I didn’t know that I had. I hear back tomorrow. I have to say I am nervously excited. This particular job could potentially take me to another city outside St. Louis, a place I’ve never left. For the first time, I have a plan but also face an unknown. Tomorrow I will be faced with one of four new challenges. One, I don’t get the job and will have to create a new plan for myself for the next year before the 2013 law school year begins. My second option would be that I get a position in St. Louis; one that I would have to choose to accept and commit to for the next two years. The third challenge would be that I am offered the position in a new city (most likely Dallas or Jacksonville), in which case I would have to seriously consider leaving the life I’ve built here in St. Louis. And finally the possibility would be if I was offered a position, I could choose to turn it down.

It’s finally here. I’m down to the last 24 hours of waiting and almost wish I could push it back a few more days. After tomorrow, I have one week to make a decision that, in essence, will affect the rest of my life. The idea of growing up and being an adult sounds really great; the reality of it actually being here is pretty nerve-wrenching. So wish me luck, for whichever option you hope I get! I’ll let you know how it goes… in the meantime, I will be here waiting…

No comments:

Post a Comment