Thursday, January 19, 2012

It's a Pie to the Face...

You know, life happens. It just does whether we want it to or not. We are forced to learn and grow and change with it. I would say that I have done that, good or bad, in the best way I know how. In hindsight, I haven’t handled every situation the way I would have liked or probably should have, but the choices I’ve made were always with good intentions. There have been times where things didn’t go the way I had planned, but at the very least, I have always tried to take the high road.

I do wish that I could go back and do some things differently. I’d be lying if I said every decision I’ve ever made was the right one. Yet, with every choice, there are lessons to be learned. I finally understand that. I understand now there are things we don’t want to happen but have to accept, things we don’t want to know but have to realize; and people we can’t live without but have to let go.

With that being said, life happens. It comes at us sometimes like a pie to the face. It’s up to us to either moan about the mess or lick our lips and say, “that’s good pie!” Let’s just say I love a good pie. And I relish in an opportunity to get dirty and make a mess. If you don’t quite understand my metaphor, I’ll speak more directly…

S*** Happens. We make a choice to either learn and grow from it or not. We make a decision to be happy or to be miserable with the hand we are dealt. I know a lot of what I say sounds completely cliché, but I’ve spent enough time in psychology to know that we have the ability to control our own disposition in a given situation. Everything we do is a choice. It’s just up to us to make the most positive, well-informed decision possible.  Life’s too short to spend it miserable and unhappy. So when you get caught with a pie to the face, I challenge you to lick your lips and enjoy the mess.

No comments:

Post a Comment