Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Celebrating the Minute Hand

With New Year’s Eve being just a few days away, my phone is being blasted with questions over my plans for the evening. Now, I never really understood the hype around New Years. As far as I’m concerned, I don’t really need an excuse to go out with friends, drink too much, and kiss men at midnight. Sounds like a typical Friday night to me. So what is the big deal? We wake up one morning, and it’s Saturday; we wake up the next and it’s a Sunday. The big deal must be in the change, then, from 2011 to 2012. But even that doesn’t make sense because who really wants to celebrate getting another year older? (Okay, I do love celebrating my birthday, but that’s for entirely different reasons!) Bars are charging these outrageous covers, friends are booking hotel rooms, and we are all looking for that special someone to help bring in the new year with a bang! No pun intended. WHY though? Is the night really just an excuse to do things we normally wouldn’t do? In trying to answer my own question, I’m going to admit I might have been wrong (this rarely ever happens). This one night when the clock’s minute hand turns into a symbolic “F-U” to the drama of the past year, and a representation of all the good things to come, what’s not to celebrate? This may be the first New Year’s Eve that I am looking forward to doing something I normally wouldn’t do. I am going to celebrate the minute hand. I am going to say goodbye to the drama and welcome the unknown! Let me know what your plans are for the new year and why you intend to celebrate the minute hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment