Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Valentine's Day: Love & The Little Things

It’s that time of year! Valentine’s Day! I’m sure that most of you are expecting some loud-mouthed rant about how much I hate Valentine’s Day because being single sucks; maybe talk about how it is a holiday designed to target a consumerist society. However, I feel quite the opposite; I love the idea of Valentine’s Day. We set aside holidays to honor our mothers, fathers, religious beliefs, birthdays, etc. What is so wrong about celebrating the people we love?

Some will argue that we should celebrate the person we love every day and not just on February 14th. You won’t get an argument from me, there. I think a man buying me flowers because it is a Tuesday is much more romantic than when he does it out of some felt necessity.   I do think it is a bit ridiculous that men are made to feel as though they have to spend an outrageous amount of money on roses and a five course meal. Instead, Valentine’s Day should just be about being with the person you love and celebrating what you have together. Leave out all the superficial charades and high-priced jewelry. Don’t get me wrong, I love flowers and jewelry. Just not on the one day that is meant to celebrate “us.” Don’t make the day about one person and their reaction to all the hard work you put in trying to make the night into something epic. Instead, I think today is about the little things. In my opinion, it should be spent with Chinese food and a funny movie, curled up on the couch before a wrestling session breaks out when said-Valentine passes gas and stinks up the room. It’s about the little things. Or I think it should be, anyways.
      
I know there are a lot of singles out there cursing the holiday because it is somehow unfair that they don’t have a special someone to share it with. We all have love in our lives though. Just because it doesn’t involve a love-interest or a romantic relationship, doesn’t mean you can’t celebrate the love you do have. This year, I am going to spend the evening with my best friend and her parents. And at some point I can count on the chocolate covered strawberries my dad gets me every year to say I love you. Honestly, it’s the valentines I get from the people that aren’t my significant other that mean the most because they don’t have to do anything for me; they simply do because they love you. There’s no reason to spend the evening depressed over what you don’t have or wish you had. It’s about celebrating all the love in your life! And who knows, the holiday you curse this year, might be the holiday to remember next year. So just enjoy it today. Have a Happy Valentine’s Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment