Monday, February 6, 2012

Time to "Get Skinny!"

The title of my blog, as you may or may not have noticed, is “Gettin’ the Skinny.” I chose this title for a number of reasons; mostly because of its play on words. Skinny just seems to be an all-inclusive word. It’s about being in the know and recognizing the naked truth of things. “Skinny Dipping” leads us to think of adventure and excitement. After prohibition ended, people used the word “skinny” to refer to a dime-piece or money. And then there is just the word “skinny” which we use to indicate the shape of a person’s figure. The latter expression is what I would like to talk about now.  It’s time to “Get that Skinny.”

As I mentioned in my profile, I am an athlete. I’ve played sports all of my life but focused mainly on field hockey and chose to pursue it in college. One of the major benefits of being a collegiate athlete is the training. As much as I hated waking up at 5am every morning to go workout, it taught me a lot of discipline and especially how to work out my body. Now back then, I was working out to get strong rather than toned, so I packed on quite a few pounds in muscle and basically just bulked up. After I had my hip surgery; however, I really wasn’t able to lift weights or run at all. I quickly went from a workout-regimented lifestyle to a somewhat static one. Between the 3 year bulk-up session, my bout of inaction after surgery, and the 4 month long, post break-up, pity party I threw for myself – I’ve turned into a little bit of a chub-ster.

I read this quote the other day  on Pinterest that said, “It would be a shame for a woman to grow old without ever seeing the strength and beauty of which her body is capable.” It really kind of hit me that even in my years of intense workouts, I have always pretty much eaten whatever I like and have never really seen what my body has the potential to look like. In every area of my life, I am a lot of talk and a lot action; I am willing to put in the work to get the results I want… except, for whatever reason, when it comes to my body.

I wouldn’t say that I am an unhealthy person by any means. I love dessert and chocolate, but I am relatively conscious of what I am eating. I wouldn’t say I’m fat either. There are parts of my body that I love and parts that I would change. I am at a point though, where I am really interested in what my body is capable of looking like if I actually walked the walked and put as much effort into myself physically as I do academically, socially, and emotionally. Right now I am in an awesome position where I am not in school, so I don’t have to worry about that. I have the best friends in the world and a wildly fun social life. I am in a great place and am emotionally high on life. So I am going to spend my free time and the positive energy I have been running with to work on my physical well-being. It’s time to combine the workouts with the diets.

I want to use this blog and all of you, as my followers, to hold me accountable. On Sundays, I am going to post about what I’ve done throughout the week in terms of diet and exercise. I am not going to put a number on the amount of weight I want to lose. My only goal is to stick with it long enough to find out what my potential is. So if you would like to follow along and do it with me, the first day of the rest of our lives starts tomorrow. It’s time to trade in the brownies for a tangerine and wake up an hour earlier to get that workout in.  Whoa! Here, Weego! (We’ll have the train the dog to bring me bottled water instead of a Bud Light!) (That's a Super Bowl joke, for the un-Americans that didn't watch- youtube it)

No comments:

Post a Comment